A lot has changed in the past 5 years: global climate change has gained greater recognition as a concern; phthalate plasticizers, halogenated flame retardants, bisphenol-A, and other chemicals have emerges as health concerns. Estidama has launched The Pearl Rating System, and green building has edged its way into the main stream vocabulary. However, this surge in green building, coupled with the relative youth of the industry, has resulted in many misconceptions or exaggerations of what makes a product or material green. The term used for this type of misconception is 'Greenwash'.
Given the wide breath in the definition of green products false claims can and do occur. It is against this background that MASDAR CITY supply chain team set out to find and evaluate green products that will help us to build one of the world's most sustainable cities.
MASDAR CITY has developed its own assessment criteria based on what we consider important to help us understand the full cradle-to-cradle lifecycle of products. Developing a clear and accurate understanding of these factors is crucial in helping to achieve the city’s sustainability objectives and key performance indicators. We have been researching green products since 2008. Our criteria, standards and thresholds are based upon our criteria for “what makes a product green”. These criteria include:
- Products made with salvaged, recycled, or agricultural waste content
- Products that conserve natural resources
- Products that avoid toxic or emissions
- Products that save energy or water
- Products that contribute to a safe, healthy indoor environment
The objective of the questionnaire is to enable MASDAR CITY supply chain team to evaluate the performance of materials and products in regard to cost, availability, quality and sustainability. We kindly ask you to follow our material selection and evaluation process:
- Manufacturer/Supplier shall complete and submit the questionnaire along with supporting information (one questionnaire per product / material) within 4 weeks.
- Manufacturer/Supplier shall supply literature including details of the manufacturing process and component material's along with detailed numbers for energy and water savings.
- Independent environmental certification (e.g. Eco Profiling or other)
- Independent verification of manufacturer's claims
- Manufacturer's own support of claims LCA or EPD
Presentation of products on The Future Build is a paid service that is charged based on the number of products and supporting files (brochures, technical datasheets etc.) being presented.
To request a listing on The Future Build, please send us your Listing Request.